Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hello and Welcome !!

My Name is Dr. Kevin Mahogany.
I am a professional vocalist and this blog is for vocalist of all types. SInce this is the first one.. I should give you a little background bout myself.. and why I decided to write a blog for vocalist. I started music lessons like  most people did... on piano. My brother  and sister did at the same time. Even my mother took lessons... if nothing else but to make sure were there and on time !! WE all had a chance to switch instruments later. I went to clarinet ... and was playing proficiently by the age of twelve. Enough so that they switched me to tenor sax in junior high. Thats when things started rolling. I started playing Baritone sax in a professional big band that same year. Playing sax, and clarinet were what everyone always saw me doing.... through high school and in to college. No one knew that I was singing on  the side... not professionally.... but singing A LOT!!
It was my senior year in high school I decided to join my church choir. THen the dam burst open.... everyone  knew me as the tenor sax, baritone sax, clarinet player .... where did the singing come from? Well I went on to Baker University, in Baldwin City, Kansas and played all of the instruments.. as well as starting to really focus on singing. There were no Jazz programs to speak of back then.. so I went through School.. getting my Bachelor of FINE ARTS. I went to one semester of Grad school for classical voice... but that was it. I went back home started singing around my hometown of Kansas City, Missouri.
To make a long story shorter, I joined groups, formed groups, left groups... but i always found myself singing. i finally got a break to sing in Chicago and was discovered by Gust Tsilis. He was representing ENJA at that time. He suggested I send my material to him in NY.

Jumping a head a little more.. I ended up signing with Enja records out of Germany. I went on to do four records for them. I left Enja to join Warner Brothers records. Four records later it was time to move on. I recorded one for Telarc records... and moved ahead to focus on starting my own record label.

During that lengthy time span... I have been blessed with teaching private voice lessons and coaching students of all ages. I have taught at Berklee College of Music, and The University of Miami.

In the year 2001 I received an honorary doctorate from Baker University.

That is how I got here to where I am now....

I hope the information that I share with you here in my blog will help you in some small way...to understand more about this business... and your business as well as the other musicians around you.  Keep coming back to check in ... and see what little pearls of wisdom ( hopefully ) I will have and be able to share with you.  I will look forward to meeting and interacting with new people... vocalist and non-vocalist a like.

 For more information about me... feel free to go to my web page:
www.KEVINMAHOGANY.COM

I will look forward to seeing you soon !!

2 comments: