Friday, March 4, 2011

Welcome back to the next edition of "For Singers Only". 
I would like to take this time to talk about a topic that I am always asked about by young performers. The most common term that is used to describe this condition is "Stage Fright". I am neither a psychologist or psychiatrist and if this condition is of such seriousness that you cannot function as a performer, I suggest you contact one of these professionals and get yourself evaluated. 
What I often find when singers are talking of "stage fright", is usually just a case of being nervous before they are ready to perform. " Butterflies", as they are sometimes called are normal before a performance. That nervous energy that you feel before you have to go on stage. To some..it is just an energy that is building up inside. They consider that energy gives them an edge an awareness of being alive. That charge or spark that will help them through there performance.  Others feel it as a pressure or a nervousness that will only enhance their chances of making a mistake. There are a couple of techniques people use to overcome this " fear". The most common is the one that they teach you in speech class. The idea of viewing your audience as being naked. The concept being if they are naked, there is nothing for you to be nervous about. They are the ones who are in the awkward situation....not you!  
My concept of dealing with this nervousness before performing is similar. I believe that some nervous energy is good. It keeps you on your toes and reminds us to focus on the job at hand. Taking that energy and focusing it into your performance helps you to put on an energetic show. If it is controlled properly.
Another way I instruct young singers to deal with this is to sneak a peak at your audience. Then realize they are there to hear you. They have come to support you and your music. They had other options they could have taken tonight but they choose to be here listening to you. Think of the love you both share of music and realize that not only do you want to do well for them. They are wrapping you with their warm embrace and accepting you to guide them through this evening of music and entertainment. No one comes out with the intent of disliking you...YOU are actually in control and they have given that control to you! I often tell my young friends that when I truly get nervous about performing...is if I were to come out on stage and NO one is there! That would frighten me !  So next time you feel that nervousness stars to creep up on you. Turn the tables on it and remember, we have come to see you....share with you our love of music and our appreciation of your interpretation of the songs.
Take that energy and use it to take both yourself, your music and your audience to new heights I guarantee after you come off the stage... You will feel great, excited and exhausted and know that you have taken another step to conquering your "stage fright".

Feel free to leave comments or questions and I will answer them here in the "blogosphere".
Any topics you want me to over for you...let me know...and I'll see what I can do!
See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight! To your point: This has always been an issue for me. When I'm at my most confident (consequently when I do my best) is when I feel prepared and supported- feeling I can just be myself.

    I'm interested in what you have to say about Ego (both our own and dealing with other folks Egos) in this industry and how to get past this in order to get everyone to a creative place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... one of the best ways to overcome any fears of inadequacy is to be well prepared.

    ReplyDelete