Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Quick note....

I have not forgotten you...
I remember that I was going to tell you how to win these vocal competitions. I still am....
I got involved in watching Americas Got Talent, and The Voice.  The Voice had the potential to be very good..... but in the end.... the best singer did not win !! Why is that... Because.. once again... it was not about talent. It turned out to be a popularity contest in the end. It is unfortunate that it did.... We could really miss out on some great musicians.  

As I was watching Americas got Talent.... it was said to see so many singers and others state that if they could not continue to the winning round... their career and life was over.  If our most popular artist of any era thought like that there would be huge gaps in our ARTS history. I say that because.... most of he greatest artist in any genre wee not huge contest winners to become successful. If you feel that is the  only way you will be successful, maybe you entered the ARTS for the wrong reason. We all see famous people.... and believe me not being a winner of a talent contest is no reason to quit on your dream.

I heard one young man say.. he was 28 years old.. and if he could not get a record deal this year... he might as well quit ! Well, If I had that attitude I would not have a music career at all. I received my first record deal at the age of 32 !! and have been doing rather well since then.

If you want to do music to get rich.... it might happen!! More than likely it wont. it takes more than wanting to be rich to be a success in this business. If you don't feel a burning desire to perform for an audience, and please them... and be accepted as an artist of talent. maybe you should look elsewhere.
The money is a by product of a great artist. If you are an incredible talent.... the riches will come in different ways. Some of them will be monetary.... but there are more ways than that.

My favorite payment.... was when a young man told me his friend had a terminal disease . He liked to listen to my CD, because it made him feel better... and helped him to ease the pain of his inevitable passing. No amount of money could make me feel better than that.... my talent eased another persons discomfort.  I couldn't ask for higher praise than that !

1 comment: